The Association of Companies and Professionals for Gays and Lesbians in Madrid and the Madrid Region (AEGAL) is a non-profit-making body with a legal character which was officially created on 1 April 2004. (registered in the Section 1st, Registro de Asociaciones de la Comunidad de Madrid, #26.627)
AEGAL has nearly 100 members, including both companies and private businessmen and women, as well as freelance professionals whose sphere of activity is aimed prima- rily at the LGTB sector.
Legal Status: non-profit, non-governamental organisation Established: 2004
Main objetives of AEGAL: The association will have as its main goal the promotion of cultural, education, business and entertainment among others specially focused on the LGBT sector of Madrid. All these initiatives with the aim of defending the rights, interests and values of LGBT Community in order to achieve the full legal and social equality.
AEGAL consists of an assembly of members represented by a board of directors.
Prior to 1996 and from the late 80’s, the June 28 Commission was responsible for organi- zing Madrid Pride.
Commission, an association is established that represents the efforts made around the Chueca neighborhood by private entrepreneurs and professionals, giving birth to AEGAL on April 1, 2004, which since them has been fully involved in the Pride organization. AEGAL conducted a complete restructuring of the Madrid Pride with a new and unified structure, production and organization under the “umbrella” of the MADO brand. In 2005, AEGAL becomes a member of EPOA and wins the candidature to host the Europride 2007. Since the EPOA general meeting in Stockholm in 2007, AEGAL is a member of the EPOA Board. AEGAL also becomes a member of InterPride in 2008. Since the InterPride general meeting in Brussels in October 2011, AEGAL is a member of the InterPride Board.
ORGANISATIONS OF WHICH WE ARE MEMBERS
- Madrid Business Platform for Leisure and Quality Tourism
- International Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- EPOA (European Pride Organizers Association)
- INTERPRIDE (The International Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex Pride Coordinators)
- ILGTA (International Lesbian and Gay Travel Association)
Other AEGAL activities
AEGAL is the main sponsor of MUESTRA T (MADO Cultural Festival). Every year MADO Cultural Festival awards a national or international person or institution distinguishing his or its commitment with LGBT Equality of Rights Issue. Stuart Milk and Peter Paige received previously this award.
AEGAL also collaborates in the International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Madrid (Lesgaicinemad). AEGAL collaborates in several non-profit-making campaigns supporting the prevention of HIV-AIDS.
AEGAL WITH TOURISM
- Madrid provides an outstanding offer of LGTB tourism, centered mainly around the Chueca neighbourhood.
- Over 350 events a year are dedicated to leisure, culture and sports, specifically targeted to the LGTB sector.
- Over 500 businesses of all kinds oriented towards the LGTB public. •... and in addition, a whole range of gay-friendly businesses whose activities are geared to these target consumers.
- AEGAL promotes Madrid as a preferential tourist destination for gays and lesbians, not only during MADO, but all year round.
- AEGAL, in collaboration with Turismo Madrid & Madrid Visitors & Convention Bureau has participated in:
- IGLTA annual general meeting (Las Vegas 2008, Toronto 2009, Amberes 2010 Fort Lauderdale USA 2011,
- Gay and Lesbian Travel Pavilion in ITB in Berlin
- World Travel Market London 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011
- FITUR Madrid 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
- Pink Corner at the International Tourism Show in Catalonia in Barcelona 2008-11
- Promotional campaing of LGBT tourism at USA 2009-10